Sitting at a desk all day is hard on your body. Muscles get stiff and weak the longer you are sedentary. Not to mention the mental numbness that comes with hours on end staring at the computer. If you’re ready for a boost in energy, mental stimulation, and some great tone, right at your desk, give this work workout a try!
As you’re approaching the lunch hour, start thinking about loosening up your muscles and shaking off some stiffness. Start at your desk while still seated in your chair. This is a great way to wind down the focus from work and gear up for your quick office workout:
- Shoulder Rolls– as you wrap up one more email or read the latest memo, begin rolling your shoulders in big round motions both forward and backward.
- Neck Rolls– Drop your chin to your collarbone and roll your head ear to shoulder and back. Don’t roll your head backwards and crunch the back of the neck. The goal is to loosen the back of the neck gently.
- Core Flexes– Tighten your abs as you curve your back slightly then arch your back gently in a reverse motion. Repeat for about a minute.
- Desk Calf Raises– Place your feet flat on the floor in front of you and raise onto your toes while squeezing your calves.
Now that you’ve shaken some work rust off it’s time to stand up and get moving for a few minutes! The focus of these exercises is to move as many muscles as possible with each move, making your workout more efficient. Feel free to get creative and try new moves!
- Reverse Lunge With Front Raise- Start in a narrow squat position with your feet just a few inches apart. Simultaneously lunge one leg straight back behind you, keeping the forward leg bent, and raise your arms up over your head. Alternate legs trying to stay in a low position the whole time. Go until you feel the burn and then go a little longer!
- Curtsy Lunge With Lateral Raise- Start standing up straight. Step one leg to the side planting it down firmly. Then bring the other leg behind that leg in a curtsy-style position getting as low to the ground as is comfortable. At the same time, raise your arms to the side making a T-shape. Switch between legs repeatedly and raise your arms with each rep.
- Static Squat With Punches- Hold a squat position as low as is comfortable. Keeping your core tight and hips facing forward, punch your arms across your body to get a small trunk twist with each punch.
- Plyo Wall Pushup With Leg Raise- Position yourself to perform wall pushups. With each pushup, come off the wall slightly like a little jump off of the wall. Try 3 wall pushups alternating a side leg raise in after each set of 3.
Finally, cool yourself back down with some stretching or a light walk around the office (or preferably outside with nice weather!). This quick and effective work workout will get your heart rate pumping, burn fat, and promote muscle tone in just a few minutes of fun. With this office exercise regimen, you’ll feel much more mentally focused to face the afternoon!